Phonics & Early Reading
At Atlas Academy, we believe that every child should finish the reception year able to read. We use the Read Write Inc (RWI) program as our systematic synthetic phonics program.
Read Write Inc Phonics is a method of teaching reading and writing, which is centered around learning the sounds of the letters (phonics) and then blending them together to read words. The children also learn to break down words into individual sounds in order to write them.
How does RWI work at Atlas Academy?
Children in EYFS and KS1 are assessed by the RWI leader and grouped according to their attainment. They work in small groups with teachers and teaching assistants every day. At the end of each half term the children will be assessed again to check they have made progress and will be grouped again.
When using RWI to read, children will:
- learn to read effortlessly so that they can put all their energy into understanding what they read.
- learn 44 sounds and the corresponding letter/letter groups using simple picture prompts.
- learn to read words using Fred Talk.
- learn to read words by blending the sounds together.
- read lively stories featuring words they have learnt to sound out.
- show that they understand the stories by answering ‘Find It’ and ‘Prove it’ discussion questions.
When using RWI to write, children will:
- spell effortlessly so that they can put their energy into working out what they want to write.
- learn to write the letters/letter groups which represent the 44 sounds (graphemes).
- learn to write words by saying the sounds in Fred Talk.
- learn to write simple and then increasingly complex sentences.
- compose a range of texts using discussion prompts.
- compose stories based on picture strips.
- write simple sentences.
When using ‘Read Write Inc’, children work in pairs to:
- answer questions to practise every activity.
- take turns talking to each other.
- give positive praise to each other.
Children learn to read words by blending the letter-sounds that are in the Speed Sound sets.
Help your child learn to read words by sound-blending e.g. c-a-t = cat
Help children to say the pure sounds, as quickly as they can, and then to blend the sounds together to say the whole word.
You can help your child at home by practicing their sounds regularly using their speed sounds book. Your child will also bring home two books each week which will contain sounds that they already know. Please read with them 3 times per week and record in their reading record.